Brief Intro to the Herald a

Introduced in 1959 the Triumph Herald was designed by Giovanni Michelotti (designer for most of the Triumph range in the early ‘60s and a number of Maseratis and the Reliant Scimitar). The two door car was available in saloon, coupe, convertible, estate and van versions. The Herald was built using a separate chassis with bolt-on body sections at a time when when most other manufacturers were moving towards the more modern monocoque construction. Originally with a 948cc engine, this was increased to 1147 after Standard-Triumph was taken over by Leyland Motors (later BL) in 1961 and re-launched as the Herald 1200. It was well renowned for it’s high all round visibility and it’s tight turning circle making it a popular driver instructors car.

The car was joined by the Vitesse in 1962, with a re-worked twin headlight front end and a straight six 1600cc engine. Increased performance came in 1966 with the introduction of the 2 litre engine with a 0-60mph in 12 seconds and a top speed of around 100mph. Fuel consumption of around 25mpg.

In 1967 the Herald 13/60 was introduced, this used the more aggressive “slant-eyed” look of the Vitesse but with single headlights. The 1200 was discontinued in 1970, the 13/60 and Vitesse discontinued the following year being replaced by the Triumph Toledo/Dolomite range.

In 1970 Triumph were producing the Herald 1200 and 13/60, the Vitesse, the 2000, Toledo/Dolomite and four sports cars: the Spitfire, GT6, Stag and TR6.

Triumph Timeline 1959-1971

As can be seen on the above Triumph timeline, in 1966 Triumph were producing the
Triumph Herald advertsHerald 1200 in Saloon, Convertible, Estate versions as well as the 12/50 Saloon. The Herald 13/60 in saloon and convertible, the Vitesse in convertible and saloon as well as the 1300FWD and the 2000 in estate and saloon. Sports cars being produced were the Spitfire, GT6 and TR4A. Making a total of 14 models.