This is a very brief introduction to the Triumph Herald. There’s plenty of articles for the history of the Herald out there for those that want something more in-depth.
Introduced in 1959 the Triumph Herald was designed by Giovanni Michelotti. The designer for most of the Triumph range in the early ‘60s and a number of Maseratis and the Reliant Scimitar. The two door car was available in saloon, coupe, convertible, estate and van versions. The Herald was built using a separate chassis with bolt-on body sections. Somewhat unusual for the time as most other manufacturers were moving towards the more modern monocoque construction. Originally with a 948cc engine, this was increased to 1147 after Standard-Triumph was taken over by Leyland Motors (later BL) in 1961. It was re-launched as the Herald 1200. Well renowned for it’s high all round visibility and it’s tight turning circle making it a popular driver instructors car.
The Herald was joined by the Vitesse in 1962, with a re-worked twin headlight front end and a straight six 1600cc engine. Increased performance came in 1966 with the introduction of the 2 litre engine with a 0-60mph in 12 seconds and a top speed of around 100mph. Fuel consumption of around 25mpg.
Triumph Herald 13/60
In 1967 the Herald 13/60 was introduced. This used the more aggressive “slant-eyed” look of the Vitesse but with single headlights. The 1200 was discontinued in 1970. The 13/60 and Vitesse discontinued the following year being replaced by the Triumph Toledo/Dolomite range.
In 1970 Triumph were producing the Herald 1200 and 13/60, the Vitesse, the 2000, Toledo/Dolomite and four sports cars: the Spitfire, GT6, Stag and TR6.
For more information about the Triumph Herald take a look at Wikipedia
Want to join the club? Check out the TSSC, the original club for the Herald small chassis range of Triumphs